Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Maturity / Madurez


In English:
Maturity is not a guaranteed process. Instead, maturity is often a painfully stretching experience, crucial for our growth. Maturity means I learn how to make a correct decision and act accordingly, whether I feel like it or not.

After I lived as a widow for about six months, I got up one morning, walked through the dark house, and pulled up the living room shutter.

During those months I laughed little. Within myself I achingly thought, "It would be so good to laugh again -- heartily!" I felt like my life was an endless plain with nothing exciting or interesting ahead.

That morning as I pulled up the shutter, I saw a spectacular sunrise. The golden clouds adorned the gorgeous sky painted pink, red, gold and blue. God was putting on his show!

A clear thought like a gentle command went through my mind,

"Sing to the Lord!"

But then a darker thought immediately followed it,

"I don't want to sing!"

At that crucial moment I faced a decision,

"Will I sing or not?"

In a squeaky, off-tune trembling voice, I started to sing:

"Praise God, from whom all blessings flow;
Praise Him all creatures here below;
Praise Him above, ye heavenly host;
Praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost!
Amen."

Nudged by the heavenly choir director, I had decided -- I WILL sing!

The Doxology was enough for that day. I only sang it once.

The next morning I went to the window and pulled up the shutter again. That morning the sunrise was not pretty. The sky was simply white, grey and blue. However, influenced by yesterday's decision, I sang the Doxology once more. This time it felt easier to sing.

After that I started to sing more spontaneously, and sometimes sang while I worked around the house.

The small decisions of every day mark our growing maturity. They show whether we make correct decisions or not, no matter how we feel. We may choose to grow, stand still, or slowly die.

What would have happened if I had decided not to sing that day?

"[God] chose [his people] to become like his Son..."
From the Bible: Romans 8:29

En español:
La madurez no es un proceso garantizado. Al contrario, a menudo la madurez es una experiencia dolorosa que nos lo exige todo, a la vez crucial para nuestro crecimiento. Ser maduro significa aprender a tomar una decisión correcta y actuar de acuerdo a ella, lo queramos o no.

Después de estar viuda unos seis meses, me levanté una mañana y crucé la casa oscura para subir la persiana del salón.

Durante esos meses, había reído poco. Pensaba afligida, "Sería tan bueno empezar a reír de verdad". En aquel entonces la vida para mi era como una llanura interminable sin ilusiones ni nada interesante por delante.

Esa mañana cuando subí la persiana, vi un amanecer espectacular: una obra maestra magnífica, un cielo pintado en tonos rosados, rojizos, dorados, y azules adornado con nubes de oro. Dios estaba dirigiendo su espectáculo.

Un pensamiento muy claro como un tierno mandamiento pasó por mi mente,

"¡Canta al Señor!"

Pero en seguida un pensamiento más oscuro lo siguió,

"¡No quiero cantar!"

En ese momento crucial me enfrenté a la decisión,

"¿Cantaré o no?"

Con un hilo de voz temblorosa y desafinada, empecé a cantar:

"¡A Dios el Padre celestial,
al Hijo nuestro Redentor,
y al eternal Consolador,
unidos todos alabad!
Amén".

Motivada por el director del coro celestial, había decidido -- "¡Cantaré!"

Esa "Doxología" me bastaba para ese día. La canté solo una vez.

A la mañana siguiente fui a la ventana y subí la persiana otra vez. Esa mañana no contemplé un hermoso amanecer. Blancos, grises y azules muy ordinarios adornaban el cielo. Sin embargo, influida por la decisión de ayer, volví a cantar la Doxología. Esta vez canté con más gusto.

En los días siguientes empecé a cantar más espontáneamente, y a veces cantaba mientras hacía mi trabajo en casa.

Las decisiones pequeñas de cada día marcan nuestra madurez creciente. Muestran si tomamos decisiones correctas o no, sean cuales sean nuestros sentimientos. Podemos escoger crecer, estancarnos, o morir lentamente.

¿Qué me hubiera pasado si ese día hubiera decidido no cantar?

"...los predestinó a ser hechos conforme a la imagen de su Hijo..."
De la Biblia: Romanos 8:29

No comments: